PDA

View Full Version : ICQ Question

Ounique
10-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Do you guys use ICQ? How do I search my buddy list? I got a new hard drive and had to reinstall my os, so when I reinstalled my ICQ I lost all my folders and history, so all my contacts are in one big lump. I used to be able to hit ctrl+shif+c and type in the first few letters of a nick but now it doesn't work? Getting support from ICQ can take days and they usually give me the wrong answer, LOL. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks. :)

monaro
10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Does icq remember your user buddy list?

Also it was great to hear your voice today on Twinkley's Show!

monaro
10-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I dont think it does Don

Ounique
10-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Hee hee, thanks monaro. Actually, it does remember my actual buddies, but they are no longer in the folders they used to be. And with no history anymore I have hundreds of names, most of which I don't even know. LOL! Sometimes people will ICQ me once to ask a question and I never hear from them again. Hmmm, maybe I should just get rid of everyone who's name I don't recognize. That would probably help.

BTW, I love your avatar. I have a thing for guys with shaved heads. :)

chilihost
10-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I just got a fancy new laptop too and had to move over my icq and am trying to find out how to move my history as well....but have not been able to find it yet :(

cheers,
Luke

Torn Rose
10-01-2004, 08:37 PM
The only thing I have been able to do on saving history is saving it as a .txt file, the history is saved on your harddrive and not the icq server.

trishie
10-02-2004, 04:55 AM
yes certainly remembers ur buddy list but thats about all i know lol

chilihost
10-02-2004, 06:37 PM
i guess that saving history as text option is per individual contact, right?

thanks!
Luke

Ounique
10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Okay, someone on another board answered this question for me and I thought I would share. If you right click on the little G in the yellow square at the top of your ICQ on the left hand side, the drop down menu has a search feature for your buddy list. :)

Evil Chris
10-04-2004, 01:22 PM
If you have a large contact list, it starts to become tough to find someone in particular on your list. Best thing to do is just order the list alphabetically.

graphicsbytia
10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by chilihost
I just got a fancy new laptop too and had to move over my icq and am trying to find out how to move my history as well....but have not been able to find it yet :(

cheers,
Luke

Here's what I did, and it worked.. I saved the whole icq folder from drive c: on another drive.. then after I formated I placed the folder back into c: then downloaded the new icq and it pulled the history into the new program :)

Torn Rose
10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Yes, you have to save the .txt files of each person; I personally just saved the "important" ones.

I have tried to save the whole folder of ICQ to the new hard drive, but I either did something wrong or it just didn't work, but it did not work for me, but this was a few years ago and I never tried it again. When I get a new pc I will try it once more.