PDA

View Full Version : Anime or not? A serious question--

garcia
10-05-2004, 06:33 PM
It is the first of the month and we are again toying with the idea of removing all our anime galleries completely. The niche converts, without question, but as anime becomes more mainstream and 'search' keywords become 'wider' every month seems to bring either a complaint or a 'what if' idiot with a search fear. (to quote a friend of mine (Candy) "(There is) a huge reference to many of today's popular cartoon's. There is a high likely hood that a search for a disney cartoon can bring some unwanted visitors-- )

In addition, we have received complaints/concerns about the 'implied' age of some of the toons featured and the thought of 2257 hovering over our shoulders 'feels' more likely daily.

We have stopped 'pushing' anime for the last 4 months just leaving the links to the galleries there with no real promotion but, in essence, that is just wasting space. We have looked at promoting just 'American' toons but, frankly, compared to the hentai the quality is just not there.

I love the niche, both professionaly and personally, but, I must admit, getting traffic hunting mickey mouse scares me.

Any thoughts? Any ideas on how anime could be marketed without the risk of 'cross-over' clicks? I am open to suggestions and looking for info.

:glugglug:

Adult Site Traffic
10-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Hmm..

As an anime/hentai/manga promoter and paysite owner, first I'd like to raise the question how anyone searching for a Disney character would find your site ?

Now, while I realize that some unscrupulous webmasters would be using keywords that can attract what those of us professionals would never want on our sites (which sadly happens with any niche) for a hundred different reasons, someone searching for Mickey Mouse would never find my site by a google search. Not only that, but if the parents were as educated about the Internet and content as I am (and I am a parent), their family's/children's computers would be protected from even loading the site(s) with the raunchy keywords that I love to use.

Second, when we launched the [toon] site back when we used ccBill, we all had a roaring good time when they demanded that we link to the 2257 statement for the content. Of course with that said we were forced to do just that or not get processing, but nonetheless it was somewhere less than valid to even link to 2257 verbage.

On that thought I (not being a legal professional) cannot ever foresee the point in time where a 2257 could be required or even validated for art. That falls under the form of mind police and it just isn't going to happen folks [I feel]. There are far bigger fish out here to fry like extreme bondage, fisting, pissing and worse [than dirty cartoons]. (Which incidentally was the first form of erotica put on to paper [or stone] :) ).

On the subject of some of the arts "implied age" material, well, there has to be a point where you, as an owner, say yes or no. Again, mind police.

That folks, is one man's opinion :cool:

AST

http://dirtyxxxtoons.com

garcia
10-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Please allow me to clarify a point or two. The keywording crossover I was referring to is not us (adult webmasters) trying to trick visitors to our sites but, rather, mainstream sites broading their use of keywords (such as anime, toons, ect) which can lead, on some engines, to pages with both types of sites listed.

As for protecting children while on the net the sad fact is that most parents don't.

As for the 2257 issue I tend to agree with AST--but--I never thought it would get as far as it has already.

A note to AST--I really appreciate the reply and your thoughts on the subject. Thank you.

Adult Site Traffic
10-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by garcia
The keywording crossover I was referring to is not us (adult webmasters) trying to trick visitors to our sites but, rather, mainstream sites broading their use of keywords (such as anime, toons, ect) which can lead, on some engines, to pages with both types of sites listed.

Oh, I understand that now. I thought you meant people searching for keywords in the engines may pull your sites. I get it now :) Yes, I could see the potential problems there.

On the rest .. :D

Laters. :)

AST