PDA

View Full Version : October's Ideal Lunar Eclipse

Evil Chris
10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
I'm a bit of an astronomy nut, and there will be an awesome lunar eclipse this month.

The best astronomical events usually seem to happen at the worst times and places — at 3 a.m. low above your most obstructed horizon, or maybe only in East Antarctica. But not this time, not for observers anywhere in the Americas. On October 27, 2004, the full Moon will undergo a deep total eclipse lasting for 1 hour 22 minutes, when it will be high in the eastern sky after dark but while most people are still awake and about.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_1340_1.asp

nanda
10-12-2004, 10:21 PM
What ashame we wont be able to enjoy that...:(

Evil Chris
10-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by nanda
What ashame we wont be able to enjoy that...:( Why not? Most of the world will see this one, or at least a partial of it.

monaro
10-13-2004, 10:19 AM
How about down under?

Evil Chris
10-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Sorry monaro, you guys will miss the entire thing.

But like last November's lunar eclipse, I'm going to try my hand at taking some pictures. I want to try my new digital camera on this one!

WTS_andy
10-13-2004, 10:33 AM
oh wow.. im gunna have to see that.

dyonisus
10-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Was there not one last year as well during the fall? I am looking forward to checkign this one out!

BlueQuartz
10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Coool Chris :)

You familar with this site?

Astronomy Pic Of The Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html)

It's very cool mate :D

Funbrunette
10-13-2004, 08:26 PM
What a Wanna be Chris!!!!! :nyanya: I told you about the eclipse...Lot's of people will be affected by this one.

This lunar cycle will inspire us to realize that we create the human condition / the situations of our own lives and that it is up to us to crack the shells we find our selves in and to emerge a new one.

It's actually a fact that "crazy" people act out more during these lunar transitions....Lock your doors! :nuts:

And trust the stars....:twisted: LMAO!!! Just very fascinated with all this!

Evil Chris
10-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by BlueQuartz
Coool Chris :)

You familar with this site?

Astronomy Pic Of The Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html)

It's very cool mate :D Cool site and I put it in my faves too.

Yes, FB told me about the upcoming lunar eclipse. I'm happy about it, I am fascinated by these kinds of celestial activities.

Panky
10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
That's pretty kewl! :D

BlueQuartz
10-14-2004, 03:20 PM
yeah its a great site heh

Evil Chris
10-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Just a reminder... tonight is the night!

nicky817
10-27-2004, 11:15 AM
i'll definatley check it out ...sounds really cool...my kids will enjoy it to...

Torn Rose
10-27-2004, 12:00 PM
we have plans to go to the "beach" and watch it! (well, what's left of it at least)

Looking forward to it!

Feynman
10-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Ha ! As was predictable, there is grey shit all over us tonight. Maybe later on it'll clear up, if we're lucky but I doubt it.

The probability of cloud cover is inversely proportional to the probabilty of an interesting event occuring in the sky. I.e. if the more you want to see it, the more certain you can be that the weather will be shitty !

I used to participate to a project involving the Canadian Remote Sensing center for making solar measurement and it was cloudy for the whole ten friggin days we had access to the observation instrumentation ! On the last day, when I was packing, the bright sun came out !

Evil Chris
10-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Well Feynman... it's a clear evening... should be great for watching the eclipse. :xthumbs:

Feynman
10-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Yup. I'll set my new miniDV cam in the backyard and I'll see what that 320X zoom can do.

BTW, the exposure of the moon is typically speed set at 1/ASA (like 1/100th of a second for a 100 ASA film) at f11 lens opening. Same as on a bright day. After all, it's the same sun that illuminates it than everything else under daylight...

sweet7
10-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Feynman
Yup. I'll set my new miniDV cam in the backyard and I'll see what that 320X zoom can do.

BTW, the exposure of the moon is typically speed set at 1/ASA (like 1/100th of a second for a 100 ASA film) at f11 lens opening. Same as on a bright day. After all, it's the same sun that illuminates it than everything else under daylight...

I'm looking forward to those pics!

Funbrunette
10-27-2004, 10:44 PM
WOW! I just went outside (it's freezing...http://mindscraps.com/s/ups/icis/xmas.gif) I swear it could snow!

What a beautiful and spectacular view! I'm curious to see what this new moon will bring us!

Funbrunette
10-27-2004, 10:48 PM
And BTW, According to folklore, October's full moon is called the "Hunter's Moon" or sometimes the "Blood Moon." It gets its name from hunters who tracked and killed their prey by autumn moonlight, stockpiling food for the winter ahead. You can picture them: silent figures padding through the forest, the moon overhead, pale as a corpse, its cold light betraying the creatures of the wood. ::-|

To READ (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/13oct_lunareclipse.htm) more interesting facts about the eclipse! :)

Funbrunette
10-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Ok, call me a nerd, but I'm very interested with full moons and lunar effects! :book:

The full moon has been linked to crime, suicide, mental illness, disasters, accidents, birthrates, fertility, and werewolves, among other things. Some people even buy and sell stocks according to phases of the moon!!! ::-|

SEE (http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html) some crazy stats (real or not, it's fascinating)! :worthy:

bubblyblond
10-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Evil Chris and Funbrunette and I all watched it together and it was beautiful. Hey EC, I hope you post those pics you took?:cool:

Evil Chris
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Yes, I'll have to download them and see which ones turned out good.

I took a lot of pictures, all in different ISOs and shutter speeds. I'll post a couple of the better ones I took.

2257Auditor
10-28-2004, 11:21 AM
The whole family watched LOST then headed out to the Hot Tub to watch the moon get dirty!

It was a bit sureal !

sweet7
10-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
Yes, I'll have to download them and see which ones turned out good.

I took a lot of pictures, all in different ISOs and shutter speeds. I'll post a couple of the better ones I took.

what kind of camera are you using EC?