PDA

View Full Version : US states ponder buying drugs from Canada

Funbrunette
10-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Sure take all our drugs...lol Seriously what does everyone think of that! Our prescription drugs are MUCH cheaper here in Canada.....This could become very interesting! :confused:

Bec
10-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Actually, cheaper medications and pain killers available over the counter is one of the main reasons my partner and I have actually considered moving there. Her medications alone for diabetes and blood pressure stuff run us over $300 per month, and that's WITH insurance.

The U.S. desperately needs to get its head out of its proverbial ass and seriously address a national healthcare program, us baby boomers are rapidly getting to that age where we are going to need long term health care.

Evil Chris
10-19-2004, 07:52 PM
In Canada, you can get a lot of what the US has classified as a "narcotic" over the counter, with no prescription.

Example: codeine.
At any Canadian pharmacy, you simply have to ask them for it, and they will give it to you. In rare cases, they will refuse you if your record shows abuse of such drugs.

I'm not sure why the US hasn't adopted a state (national) run health care system.

Panky
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
There's too much money made in private insurance.

Bec
10-19-2004, 08:06 PM
It's not only the insurance companies ... but the pharmaceutical firms. They've got it where a doctor can only prescibe a DRUG to CURE something. They're labeling anything and everything a DRUG now, and even trying to get things like natural vitamins labeled as such.

Products cannot label themselves a cure for something, without falling under "you're selling a drug" and not licensed to do so. So anything that occurs naturally in nature that really CAN cure, can't be marketed as such! If it's a cure, it's a drug and it's only available via prescription. It's nuts!

Evil Chris
10-19-2004, 08:30 PM
yes I agree Bec.... very confusing as well.

Reminds me of the adage... "baffle them with bullshit"

Bec
10-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Baffle them - no shit. All you have to do is sit and watch the TV for one night and see all the new "drugs" they tell you to see a doctor for ... stuff that really aren't "drugs" per se, but had to get labeled as such to be mass marketed via the doctor's office. Such a fuckin scam.

Feynman
10-19-2004, 10:06 PM
The same company who produces the drugs sells them at different places at different places.

One of your problems has nothing to do with drug companies, it's the lawyers and liability suits that increase the prices. Also, there are marketing strategy: anyone charges the maximum they thing the market will absorb.

nanda
10-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Bec

The U.S. desperately needs to get its head out of its proverbial ass and seriously address a national healthcare program, us baby boomers are rapidly getting to that age where we are going to need long term health care.

I agree!!:xthumbs:

StuartD
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
The problem with the whole scenario is that it becomes a slight inconvenience when a country of 30 million has to supply drugs to a country of over 250 million.

And at the same time, still have enough for ourselves.

That's a HUGE demand on Canada's supply.