PDA

View Full Version : Beware Fellow Canadians

Vid Vicious
11-28-2002, 06:18 PM
BEWARE FELLOW CANADIAN WEBMASTERS There's a scam out there it it isn't in your email .. it's cummin in your mail box ...
I recieved a letter from " Domain Registry of Canada" the other day an "impotant notice" they call it .. Renewal for one of my domains is up in may 2003 and this letter urges me to renew it I want to keep my URL .. only $40.00 for one year or %70 for 2 years .. It's a scam There is no officail Canadian office fro Domain registries .. I contacted Utopia.com (one of canada's leading hosting companies) and inquired about this. The Gov't has made attempt aat shutting these people down but it looks like they're still in bizz. So look out, It's all bullshit you don't have to register your domain with them for your income tax . .. As Soon as I get my Scanner pluged in ..I'll scan this letter for all to see ...

sherie
11-28-2002, 06:39 PM
That is still happening?! WOW! There was a big news special on that a bit ago!

Holy moly...what's shocking is how these folks are getting your home address etc. Scary!!

StuartD
11-28-2002, 06:40 PM
Hmm.... have to admit, that's creative.

Friggin scammers are inventive, I'll give'm that. Not smart... but inventive.

Funbrunette
11-28-2002, 06:44 PM
No shit I think we got that yesterday...:bad mood:

Mister X
11-28-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by sherie
That is still happening?! WOW! There was a big news special on that a bit ago!

Holy moly...what's shocking is how these folks are getting your home address etc. Scary!!
Actually it's a very easy scam to pull off. You just have to go to one of the registrar sites and do a whois query on a domain. Up pops a contact name, email, phone number, and a mailing address. For instance Xnations pops up a bogus phone number but there's a valid looking email and mailing address. And of course Chris's name is there. Most likely someone wrote a script to automate things a bit to save time.

Hmmmm.... wonder what the M stands for? Maurice? ::-|

cyberpunk
11-28-2002, 08:53 PM
I've gotten ass loads of these... good to start the fireplace up with on these cold toronto nites :)

cool1
11-28-2002, 10:49 PM
I remember something like that a couple of yrs ago.

They used to phone me up and tell me those kinda things.
I just told them I was not interested.

Vid Vicious
11-29-2002, 12:48 PM
yes, I heard about that too .. they've been calling people too ...