PDA

View Full Version : House hunting!

Funbrunette
10-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Man, that's fun and tiring! Chris & I put our house for sale (FYI, Americans that may want to move to Canada if Bush wins ):cackle: We saw some real gems today! I'm so excited, new house, new beginning! :D

thruma
10-26-2004, 06:59 PM
oh moving is the most fun in the world.
yeah right ;)

But it is loads of fun when the moving is over and you're in your new place!

good luck guys.

Panky
10-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Very cool! Let me know if you need help with anything. :D

Funbrunette
10-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Panky

I'm still waiting for you to have your house warming party...Silly Gal! :flower:

Panky
10-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Cum on over. We'll go to Chez Maurice and call it a house warming party. :glugglug: :D

Evil Chris
10-26-2004, 09:13 PM
FB and I feel the same about moving... it's horrible!
But as thurma pointed out, once it's over and you get there, opening boxes and settling in is fantastic.

Yes we did see a few nice ones. It's fun to shop around for a new home.

Cold_ice
10-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Shopping for anything suxs, its a time consuming task that is better left to a real estate agent. That way you only look at the ones you really will like and with in your budget. Buy with your head and wallet in mind and not your heart and feelings. Two cents!

nanda
10-26-2004, 10:38 PM
How are the taxes in Canada? What does a gallon of milk cost?:)

Feynman
10-27-2004, 02:35 AM
nanda. Taxes are horrendous compared to the US. but there are ways... When you make over 250k, you can structure your things to pay virtually nothing. if you make less than that, you're in trouble

total taxes are over 50% if you earn, say, 65k. Plus a 15.5% tax on all goods that are not food.

OTOH, you'll have free (as in utterly shitty) medicare in Quebec, plus a large portion of meds paid. but that is if you become a QC resident, canadian citizen

All in all, the US, without Bush's Big Brother's outfit might be better.

It's a different kind of hell here.

But RevCan and especially the more voracious Revenue Quebec has a very hard time tracking internet businesses, unless you run in the millions. If you live a modest life, and keep your US corporation, and then go on vacation and incorporate in a tax haven (the ones which are on the OECD blacklist are better), then, you might accumulate wealth for your retirement. You might retire in ten years, or twenty, of five, it depends what you want out of life.

If you go to Ontario, the health care system is better.

Quebec has double govt, one provincial and the federal govt of Canada, so every double piece of red tape you have to pay double for, plus pay for the red tape to make the two pieces of red tape agree between each others.

When the money market bubble will collapse in the US, thanks to Uncle Greenspan, Canada will become the north american Poland.

No wonder they passed law for criminalizing the simple possession of guns. They did not start to disarm the population yet, but it will come.

Of course, the only reason they did that was for the politicos to protect themselves. While we look like a peaceful countries, and while they flout the "high crime rate" of the US, if you compare identical demographic regions, the US has less crime than Canada, particularly in the states where there is little restrictions on gun ownership.

when the shit hit the fan, which everyone "optimistic" denies, and it will start most likely with the Chinese and Japan and India selling US bonds (they plan to soon sell 100 B$), the eagle will dive, then the overinflated real eastate market will dive, then everything will dive. This was the historical fate of all systems running on phoney money (not gold-based) in the last 4000 years.

Then, Canada will follow. Most likely, Canada will get annexed to the US, as it was already claimed by the US around 1812 (?) under international maritime salvage laws, and the U.C.C. is already applied in our courts since 1980. this will all be Commerce, aka Admiralty law, aka maritime law, aka martial law, aka contract law, i.e. the larger form of law that is called Roman law. Forget your constitution. And as for us, we never had one, notwithstanding the lip service paid to that piece of asswiping paper they call the British North American Act and the new constitution of '82 (?) They are NOT constititions.

So, legally, we live under a stealth dictature, and so do you.

Wait until the economic crunch happens and you'll see those jack booted thug start to do ugly things to maintain their illusory standard.

The most frightening thing is that they believe that anyway, they'll all end up prematurely dead. So they'll loot with the idea that as long as it last their lifetime, they'll be OK.

I am not optimistic concerning the future of what once was the greatest nation on earth, the united states of America. You got all fucked since the thirties with the judgment "Tompkins vs Erie Railroad". This is when equity courts were dissolved and everything went under the U.C.C.

What's the link to Canada, or what i call derisively the Kollektive Komradship of Kanada? Well, when the US sneeze, we get a cold.

when you'll have problems, we'll get a friggin hard time. When you collapse, we'll die.

So, Canada might look nice for the time being, but we're sitting on the thin crust floating over an ocean of shit. IMHO.

If I were you, I'd come to Canada if Bush starts to raise hell, but I'd be looking for somewhere else too, less "civilised" Maybe south america...
Belize has English-style law. I dunno Costa Rica. I'd rather weather the hurricanes than be around in five years.

Unfortunately, I'll probably still be around...

monaro
10-27-2004, 06:44 AM
I admire your integrity and the guidance you share us Feynman =)

monaro
10-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Panky

Ohh I could do with a good long neck rub!

bubblyblond
10-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Funbrunette
Man, that's fun and tiring! Chris & I put our house for sale (FYI, Americans that may want to move to Canada if Bush wins ):cackle: We saw some real gems today! I'm so excited, new house, new beginning! :D

Good luck!!! I love house hunting.. You get to see how other people decorate their homes.:)

2257Auditor
10-27-2004, 08:51 AM
You should visit the "other" Shore.
Saint Constant has great schools , great parks, we even have a WalMart and Cage au Sport.
The train into the city is great, and the taxes are reasonable.
But the h-english still have not found us out.
They still think you are crazy when you ask for a Globe and Mail at the depaneur

nicky817
10-27-2004, 11:11 AM
I like canada i think its a cool place to live...as for buying a house not so cool until your finally unpacked and lying in your bed

Panky
10-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 2257Auditor
You should visit the "other" Shore.
Saint Constant has great schools , great parks, we even have a WalMart and Cage au Sport.
The train into the city is great, and the taxes are reasonable.
But the h-english still have not found us out.
They still think you are crazy when you ask for a Globe and Mail at the depaneur

I didn't realize before that you are a Montrealer. Welcum to XNations. :D

Panky
10-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by monaro
Ohh I could do with a good long neck rub!

Well, when you get your butt on a plane and head this way for a visit, I'll give you one. Maybe FB will join in? :D

Magnus3x
10-27-2004, 02:40 PM
NOICE.. good luck on the HUNT, mine starts in May and I'm stoked.

Lara M
10-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Montreal is the best, i love it ..

Funbrunette
10-27-2004, 10:50 PM
I'd love a beach front property! It's healthy to have dreams....lol:cloud9:

nanda
10-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Feynman
nanda. Taxes are horrendous compared to the US. but there are ways... When you make over 250k, you can structure your things to pay virtually nothing. if you make less than that, you're in trouble

total taxes are over 50% if you earn, say, 65k. Plus a 15.5% tax on all goods that are not food.

OTOH, you'll have free (as in utterly shitty) medicare in Quebec, plus a large portion of meds paid. but that is if you become a QC resident, canadian citizen

All in all, the US, without Bush's Big Brother's outfit might be better.

It's a different kind of hell here.

But RevCan and especially the more voracious Revenue Quebec has a very hard time tracking internet businesses, unless you run in the millions. If you live a modest life, and keep your US corporation, and then go on vacation and incorporate in a tax haven (the ones which are on the OECD blacklist are better), then, you might accumulate wealth for your retirement. You might retire in ten years, or twenty, of five, it depends what you want out of life.

If you go to Ontario, the health care system is better.

Quebec has double govt, one provincial and the federal govt of Canada, so every double piece of red tape you have to pay double for, plus pay for the red tape to make the two pieces of red tape agree between each others.

When the money market bubble will collapse in the US, thanks to Uncle Greenspan, Canada will become the north american Poland.

No wonder they passed law for criminalizing the simple possession of guns. They did not start to disarm the population yet, but it will come.

Of course, the only reason they did that was for the politicos to protect themselves. While we look like a peaceful countries, and while they flout the "high crime rate" of the US, if you compare identical demographic regions, the US has less crime than Canada, particularly in the states where there is little restrictions on gun ownership.

when the shit hit the fan, which everyone "optimistic" denies, and it will start most likely with the Chinese and Japan and India selling US bonds (they plan to soon sell 100 B$), the eagle will dive, then the overinflated real eastate market will dive, then everything will dive. This was the historical fate of all systems running on phoney money (not gold-based) in the last 4000 years.

Then, Canada will follow. Most likely, Canada will get annexed to the US, as it was already claimed by the US around 1812 (?) under international maritime salvage laws, and the U.C.C. is already applied in our courts since 1980. this will all be Commerce, aka Admiralty law, aka maritime law, aka martial law, aka contract law, i.e. the larger form of law that is called Roman law. Forget your constitution. And as for us, we never had one, notwithstanding the lip service paid to that piece of asswiping paper they call the British North American Act and the new constitution of '82 (?) They are NOT constititions.

So, legally, we live under a stealth dictature, and so do you.

Wait until the economic crunch happens and you'll see those jack booted thug start to do ugly things to maintain their illusory standard.

The most frightening thing is that they believe that anyway, they'll all end up prematurely dead. So they'll loot with the idea that as long as it last their lifetime, they'll be OK.

I am not optimistic concerning the future of what once was the greatest nation on earth, the united states of America. You got all fucked since the thirties with the judgment "Tompkins vs Erie Railroad". This is when equity courts were dissolved and everything went under the U.C.C.

What's the link to Canada, or what i call derisively the Kollektive Komradship of Kanada? Well, when the US sneeze, we get a cold.

when you'll have problems, we'll get a friggin hard time. When you collapse, we'll die.

So, Canada might look nice for the time being, but we're sitting on the thin crust floating over an ocean of shit. IMHO.

If I were you, I'd come to Canada if Bush starts to raise hell, but I'd be looking for somewhere else too, less "civilised" Maybe south america...
Belize has English-style law. I dunno Costa Rica. I'd rather weather the hurricanes than be around in five years.

Unfortunately, I'll probably still be around...

You shocked me. Of course you always inform me and enlighten me with your broad knowledge of everything!

When we lived in Europe, I whined like a baby about their gas prices, utilities, and taxes..(and of course it didn't effect us in anyway. Being military we could buy anything in the German economy use VAt forms and not pay tax, get gas coupons to pay gas in the economy at the U.S. base price, and never had to pay country taxes....) I loved Germany and most of Europe and would live there in a heart beat, but the taxes turn me off.

I can't live in South America; I am originally from there and most women are literasaly just looked at as sexual objects, I can't live in a place hwere a 12 year old girl can have sex with a 45 year old man and it is perfectly lkegal and not frowned on...:mad:

Whatever the case, I am looking into Australia, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, and German medical schools. I also think I want to just relocate there.

I love the United States but, right now it's scary. I have my parents & siblings to worry about, and about 30 cousins who are depending on me finishing my education and getting a job so I can pay for their schools and when the time come Universities in South America...

I am the first to say that the U.S., has given me so much, just as it has for any immigrant that has come here and tried...but I am scared of the economy and things they are doing...:( :mad:

Funbrunette
10-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Looks like we may have a live one...lol I'd hate to jinx myself but this is their second visit...Money talks baby! :xthumbs: