PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Eye...?

Funbrunette
11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
What are Evil Eyes?

Sometimes referred to as the envious eye. The evil eye belief is that a person can harm you or your children just by looking at you or them with envy. By wearing the Evil Eye bead, it protects you from someone giving you an evil eye by acting as a repellent. In Greece (and other eastern countries) the most common form is the Blue Glass Eye charm, which mirrors the blue of the evil eye and thus repels it. Therefore it only brings good luck to those who wear it. These are given as gift to newborn (as yet un-baptized) children.

Ever heard of this? I asked my jeweller to make me a nice necklace with semi-precious stones (which all have some kind of healing benefit) and I asked her to have it blessed for me, She suggested I add an evil eye to the necklace....Hmmmm???? :D

Visualad
11-17-2004, 08:59 PM
:bum: :whip:

Gruntled
11-17-2004, 09:16 PM
::-| I t hink it's trying to hypnotize me! ::-|

Funbrunette
11-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Visualad

Well, that clears it up for me....lol :nyanya:

sweet7
11-18-2004, 09:45 AM
I used to have one hanging from the mirror in my car. The legend goes something along the lines of: you can't buy it for yourself someone has to give it to you for it to work.

Visualad
11-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Funbrunette
Well, that clears it up for me....lol :nyanya: :cackle:

TheLegacy
11-18-2004, 01:17 PM
can I get one of those for my boxers??

foxylady
11-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Visualad

its true when you look at that :badcomp:

Tafkap
11-19-2004, 04:18 AM
I'm actually having an "evil-eye" bracelet bought in Greece last summer to protect me :bonk:

2257Auditor
11-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by sweet7
I used to have one hanging from the mirror in my car. The legend goes something along the lines of: you can't buy it for yourself someone has to give it to you for it to work.

Checked with one of my Morrocain girlfriends.
She confirms that only "works" if the eye is gifted to you by a loved one .... hear that Evil Chris !

ocho-ocho
11-20-2004, 07:28 AM
wow...interesting...how can i get one? but in fairness, i like the details...

Funbrunette
11-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Well, I ended up getting rid of it....Too many bad/weird things were happening since I put it on...May not even have anything to do with it, but I feel better and things to be back to normal :)

monaro
11-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Well, I ended up getting rid of it....Too many bad/weird things were happening since I put it on...May not even have anything to do with it, but I feel better and things to be back to normal :)

If your throwing it out, I always wanted one of those. I have this spot on the mail box out front that could use one. I just hate online spam just as much as junk mail. Perhapes it will help stop the ads that show up in the mail box, Like does it look like I need my lawn mowed? Its the best looking grass in the street. LOL

sweet7
11-20-2004, 09:25 AM

who gave it to you and what did it look like?

sweet7
11-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by monaro
If your throwing it out, I always wanted one of those. I have this spot on the mail box out front that could use one. I just hate online spam just as much as junk mail. Perhapes it will help stop the ads that show up in the mail box, Like does it look like I need my lawn mowed? Its the best looking grass in the street. LOL

haha I doubt that monaro but it might protect your home.

Funbrunette
11-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by sweet7
who gave it to you and what did it look like?

Read my post at the top Sweetness! :D It was added on a necklace I had custom made. Literally gave me the creeps! I don't know something about it brought me negative vibes...

Monaro, I wouldn't give you the damn thing I'd be afraid it would bring you bad luck!

The thing is, now I feel bad I got rid of it...Maybe it will be worse :eek: God, I'm so paranoid when it comes to shit like that...lol :twisted:

monaro
11-20-2004, 04:07 PM
You do know that god will be here soon!
Lightning bolts and thunder Funbrunette.

sweet7
11-20-2004, 06:12 PM
[B]Read my post at the top Sweetness! :D It was added on a necklace I had custom made. Literally gave me the creeps! I don't know something about it brought me negative vibes...

like I mentioned and 2257Auditor also heard it was the case, it must be a gift from a loved one...:(

lazzlo
11-21-2004, 06:36 AM
I know where I live in Toronto, they used to be a hot lure for salmon, look, I attached a pic of one!

Funbrunette
11-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by lazzlo
I know where I live in Toronto, they used to be a hot lure for salmon, look, I attached a pic of one!

I'm confused :confused: Maybe I'm slow but, what does this have to do with the evil eye again?

sweet7
11-21-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm confused :confused: Maybe I'm slow but, what does this have to do with the evil eye again?

I believe he's implying that those who believe in "the evil eye" and anything of the like are "fish". That is, easily persuaded to place and/or see value and meaning where there is none.

lazzlo
11-23-2004, 10:03 AM
I have a few of them, want one for a necklace?

eiht
11-24-2004, 10:57 AM
They are used a lot in Turkey

sweet7
11-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by eiht
They are used a lot in Turkey

yup, turkey, greece, egypt, syria, and many others.