PDA

View Full Version : With junk mail and remote programs that filter

monaro
12-01-2004, 09:06 AM
G'day,

With junk mail and remote programs that filter your mail for a service to prevent junk mail.

How sure can one be that the program that is used to filter inward email to remove junk mail isnt used to the disadvantage of the sender and spy in the mail that is being sent?

Do you know of a trusted service and also would that be SpamArrest? If you do know about them and how trustworthy they are, please feel free to discuss!

Have a great day!
Mark

kaustic
12-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Mark,

My favorite thing to do ever since I became a network administrator is to run my own mailserver.... You get to see the entire mail exchange, and at the very least you know that no one else but you snooped on your mail on your side.... Not to mention, you can setup a free mail server relatively quickly and integrate mysql, spamassasin, and even anti-virus software.

Let me know if you need to do that, otherwise, I would check out GMail from google... I donŽt have an account, but IŽm sure if their Spam algorithm is anywhere near how good their search engine algorithm is, then they got a good one on their hands... not to mention 1gb of space!?

Good luck!

sweet7
12-01-2004, 10:38 AM
I started receiving spam at my GMail account, not much maybe 1 or 2 every 3 or so days and they go directly into the spam folder. I would say their algorithm is pretty good if not excellent although this is a relatively new email address so we'll see.

kaustic
12-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Cool.... I love everything Google creates.... Hope they keep it up, pretty soon weŽll all just need internet appliances......