X Nations

X Nations (http://www.xnations.com/index.php)
-   General Webmaster Business and Discussions (http://www.xnations.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is the war affecting your decisions?........ (http://www.xnations.com/showthread.php?t=2591)

Sly 03-27-2003 09:26 PM

Not really. There are a couple countries I would be a little careful in for sure: Canada and France. But nah, I'm game to flying anywhere.

Bree 03-27-2003 09:34 PM

Dunno about international travelling although I really don't have time to do that now anyway.. (I would travel to Canada)

I am travelling stateside.. in fact, I flew from NC to Ohio today.. and in two weeks I'll be travelling from NC to Maryland....

I did read an article in USAToday (while inflight), that flight reservations have dropped 7% in the states since the war started.. that has caused airlines to modify flight schedules and passengers have been rebooked on other flights -- without notice!! They recommended checking your flight reservations 48 hours prior to make sure you're not affected by any modifications.

I haven't seen a trend in prices .. they are generally the same as they have been. I'm planning another trip in June/July .. and then in August for Internext. I hope I can snag some good deals.

Today's flight wasn't full.. I've flown this same flight several times and it's generally not a full plane.

Last week when my daughter and I flew on AirTran, we experienced a 2 hour delay.. but that was the same night Bush addressed the nation warning them of an impending war. So I'm guessing most flights were a bit off. One thing though, is that my daughter and I got picked for security checks -- I think it most likely due to the fact that we had one way tickets. Anyway, we spent an hour in a "secure area." I was not too happy. I did object to my daughter being searched as she is only 12 and as it turns out they are not allowed to search children 12 and under. Even so, it was a bit traumatic for her.. her comment was "Mom, I'm a cheerleader not a terrorist. Can't they see that?" Poor Munchkin!!!

So my answer is.. no, I'm still flying ;)

ric knows nina 03-27-2003 09:42 PM

I will still travel. I agree with everyone that you have to live your life, and to change drastically means giving in to terrorism (which is why I'm concerned with aspects of the Bush Administrations Homeland Security).

I live in nyc and I've noticed I'm a bit more weary... like everytime I drive over the Brooklyn Bridge. It's silly, cause the cops leave an empty squad car in the left lane and cones blocking the entire lane, which causes more traffic. I guess they're covering themselves if something happened by having a "police presence" but if a terrorist act goes down, alot of people will be stuck on the bridge.

I also try to avoid the subway. The bus has gotten more popular these days :-)

LadyMischief 03-27-2003 10:03 PM

Hell no.. I'm gonna do what I want to do anyways, war or no war. The only thing affecting my decisions is babysitting for the kid s:P

Raya 03-27-2003 10:04 PM

It has made me stop and think, but I will continue to go to the shows if I can.

DragonKing 03-27-2003 10:24 PM

I cant stand flying in maritime let alone war.
But it still doesn't stop me from making a show!
Hell...its the only time i get to leave my house!

:)~

poppy 03-27-2003 10:35 PM

No, the War and Terrorism will not affect my travel plans domestically. However, flying to Europe would keep me on my toes.

That being said, cya in AZ baby!

Socks Manly 03-27-2003 11:02 PM

I seriously can't believe so many would change their plans based on something happening in another part of the world.. I wouldn't travel to an arab nation right now unless I had a bloody good reason to be there, but other than that I really don't care.. Why is "overseas" such a big deal? I think people are just generally racist making a comment like that. What makes somewhere overseas different than home? Should egyptians feel afraid to fly to America? You probably think that's ridiculous.. Because it is! So is being scared of flying "overseas"

schilli 03-27-2003 11:29 PM

Toronto I won't miss - Montreal's a maybe - but not because of the war... and if flights have dropped and if the price follows along with hotel rates - then Amsterdam may be a reality.....

go war go!

twinkley 03-28-2003 09:37 AM

Well.... one more point I would like to add....

I dont think another 9/11 will happen here for a long long time. I think people have learned a very important lesson - if something happens its okay to FIGHT. If someone tried to rush the pilots, or take over a flight now, i think they would get rushed by just about everyone on the plane.

twinkley

sherie 03-28-2003 09:40 AM

Even with the alert that there may be terrorist attacks at the Nuclear plant haven't put a damper on my travelling to the states. I am leaving for Phoenix on Wednesday as planned =)

Then the next couple are in Canada. I have no problems at this time travelling anywhere.

Keywords*at this time* =)

12clicks 03-28-2003 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bree

One thing though, is that my daughter and I got picked for security checks -- I think it most likely due to the fact that we had one way tickets. Anyway, we spent an hour in a "secure area." I was not too happy. I did object to my daughter being searched as she is only 12 and as it turns out they are not allowed to search children 12 and under. Even so, it was a bit traumatic for her.. her comment was "Mom, I'm a cheerleader not a terrorist. Can't they see that?" Poor Munchkin!!!

This post hits the nail right on the head for me. At the current time, I refuse to do any extra air travel while Americans are treated like this.
As long as the government and airlines pretend that they can't tell the difference between a 12 yr old and a terrorist, I'll not spend my money on air travel.
fuck them.
The only people hijacking planes are muslims. Find them, pull them out of line, and make their lives miserable.
Leave 12 yr olds, grandmothers, mothers, american business men, and other obviously harmless people alone.

That said, I'm not afraid to travel because of terorrism, war, or anything else. I'm just accustomed to being treated a certain way (and that includes with respect) and refuse to patronize businesses who don't treat me this way because they lack common sense.

gregtx 03-28-2003 11:54 AM

I agree with your thinking 12 clicks.. although.. remember Vietnam when the Viet Cong would have children run up to US troops and throw grenades at them.. Timothy McVeigh... wasn't muslim either...

so by just using racial profiling.. we open up many other channels for terrorism...

I've yet to have missed any flights or been delayed due to heightened security... would rather be a little inconvenienced than high jacked by a 12 year old and a grandmother...lol

Evil Chris 03-28-2003 01:13 PM

This war wouldn't preclude me from travelling. Even travel to Europe. I'm not sure I understand why a lot of people don't want to fly to Europe at this time, either.

12clicks 03-28-2003 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gregtx
I agree with your thinking 12 clicks.. although.. remember Vietnam when the Viet Cong would have children run up to US troops and throw grenades at them.. Timothy McVeigh... wasn't muslim either...

so by just using racial profiling.. we open up many other channels for terrorism...

I've yet to have missed any flights or been delayed due to heightened security... would rather be a little inconvenienced than high jacked by a 12 year old and a grandmother...lol

That's a bit silly don't you think? I do.
first, this isn't vietnam. second, if you want to throw mcveigh into the mix that would make it about 1white american for every 10,000 muslims who commit a terrorist act.
thirdly, racial profiling works. It's sad that it does but its more a reflection on those profiled than those catching them.

And I have missed flights and been delayed due to heightened security. I'm perfectly comfortable with risking my life on the fact that a 12yr old girl won't be high jacking my plane.:bonk:

gregtx 03-28-2003 01:36 PM

you're right this isn't vietnam.. I was using this was an example of why everyone needs to be checked... as for Tim M.. was just an example of "any race can be a terrorist"...

gee Mike Tyson is muslim.. better check every black man too...

Racial profiling occurs whether we think it does or not... but unless we check everyone randomly.... it opens a way to easily slip someone/or something through....

just raising some points to back "my opinion"

I thought you just said you refused to do air travel as long as American's are treated this way??? so this will not affect you at all.

I'm not "afraid" to travel.. I will just be more selective of where I would travel to... just making a post;)

Ounique 03-28-2003 01:58 PM

Quote:

Racial profiling occurs whether we think it does or not...
You know, that's such a strange thing to me. My parents are Lebanese but I was adopted, so I'm not (I don't know what my lineage is). I don't think of myself as "white" because that doesn't really describe anything because there are all kinds of "white" people and they aren't all the same lineage.

When I was 17 I went to Australia with my father to visit a whole section of our family who lived there. We got off the plane and I looked at the group of 30 Lebanese people all standing there with welcome signs an I thought, "This has to make some people nervous, they look like a bunch of terrorists". Then, when we got into the crowd and everyone was introducing each other and hugging and kissing, they all kept giving me their luggage. I thought that to be a very strange to welcome family. Then I found out that because I didn't look like them, they assumed I was from the airline and was there to handle the bags. I learned a very strong lesson in apperances that day.

12clicks 03-28-2003 02:43 PM

Quote:

you're right this isn't vietnam.. I was using this was an example of why everyone needs to be checked... as for Tim M.. was just an example of "any race can be a terrorist"...
I don't think these examples are relevant. :)

Quote:

gee Mike Tyson is muslim.. better check every black man too...
Dude, if I'm on a plane with Tyson, I want him checked. funny you'd try to turn it into a black thing.

Quote:

Racial profiling occurs whether we think it does or not... but unless we check everyone randomly.... it opens a way to easily slip someone/or something through....
I disagree.

Quote:

just raising some points to back "my opinion"
No problem there. :)

Quote:

I thought you just said you refused to do air travel as long as American's are treated this way??? so this will not affect you at all.
No, I said "extra" travel.

:D