X Nations

X Nations (http://www.xnations.com/index.php)
-   General Webmaster Business and Discussions (http://www.xnations.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What kind of music do you guys & girls listening to `? (http://www.xnations.com/showthread.php?t=220)

Horg 10-02-2002 09:13 PM

Cool I'll try to find some :)
Do you know Tricky ?
(he was the bad guy's right arm in 5th element btw)

Evil Chris 10-02-2002 09:14 PM

I grew up listening to a lot of soul music... My parents had plenty of The Spinners, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Tavares, James Brown, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Commodores, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, etc... and I still love a lot of that stuff...

So I think it's because of this, that I can't seem to get into the hiphop scene. Good soul music seems to have disappeared and replaced by hiphop. Some call it R&B... I don't.

Traffichoney 10-02-2002 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Horg
Cool I'll try to find some :)
Do you know Tricky ?
(he was the bad guy's right arm in 5th element btw)

No .. don't know him.. lol.. sorry..

But i hope you like 'em.. :rainbow:

Traffichoney 10-02-2002 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Evil Chris
I grew up listening to a lot of soul music... My parents had plenty of The Spinners, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Tavares, James Brown, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Commodores, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, etc... and I still love a lot of that stuff...

So I think it's because of this, that I can't seem to get into the hiphop scene. Good soul music seems to have disappeared and replaced by hiphop. Some call it R&B... I don't.

I totally love Soul music...
Many Hiphop artists like The Roots respect those artists.. and some emulate 'em.. sample their music and such...

Just remember.........there's many many forms of hiphop.. and the stuff you hear commercially isn't REAL HIPHOP!...

Horg 10-02-2002 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Traffichoney

No .. don't know him.. lol.. sorry..

But i hope you like 'em.. :rainbow:

If you want to do a very interesting discovery then, go buy Maxinquaye from Tricky. It's one of the best albums I have I'd stay. He is the precursor of trip-hop, without him there would not be any Massive Attack or Portishead (well at least they would be different).

On my side I grew up on The Who and french music. I still love The who :)

Traffichoney 10-02-2002 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Horg

If you want to do a very interesting discovery then, go buy Maxinquaye from Tricky. It's one of the best albums I have I'd stay. He is the precursor of trip-hop, without him there would not be any Massive Attack or Portishead (well at least they would be different).

On my side I grew up on The Who and french music. I still love The who :)

Sure :blush: I'll do that.. always open to different things... thanks :bonk:

Bree 10-02-2002 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Evil Chris

yah, me too... I grew up in Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie and the popular radio station (we listened to the AM Radio -- like the Everclear song -- which BTW feels like someone was peeping into my life!! LOL) was CKLW -- from Detroit/Windsor...

I just made a CD with 60/70's oldies.. :)

I was listening to it when I picked up my daughter from the Cheer Gym.. she said "Mom, can we listen to songs I've heard before?" hehe

Evil Chris 10-02-2002 11:54 PM

I can relate, Bree.... I grew up right across Lake Erie from you in London, Ontario.
We could pick up the Detroit radio stations from London most of the time and I used to hear a lot of soul and motown music.

I still love that stuff... and I totally know what you mean about that Everclear song "AM Radio"... ;)

Horg 10-03-2002 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Traffichoney

Sure :blush: I'll do that.. always open to different things... thanks :bonk:

Cool, let me know how you find it :)

Tobbe 10-03-2002 10:55 AM

Welcome aboard to the ship "Traffichoney"

Zebra 10-03-2002 12:23 PM

Rocking my ass off to Tool right now :bonk:

Zebra 10-03-2002 12:30 PM

Did someone mention Everclear's AM Radio?

http://www.campchaos.com/cartoons/ev...r/amradio.html

Take a trip back to the 70's man.. when Tang was cool and Pet Rocks rocked!

Traffichoney 10-03-2002 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tobbe
Welcome aboard to the ship "Traffichoney"

Awwww ... thanks :blush: ... Aye aye mate!:)

LaurieX 10-03-2002 01:00 PM

My favorite band right now is Soulstice. They are signed to the House Label Om records they sound like a cross between Olive, Sade, and Massive Attack Anyone into that type of music should check them out.

Traffichoney 10-03-2002 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LaurieX
My favorite band right now is Soulstice. They are signed to the House Label Om records they sound like a cross between Olive, Sade, and Massive Attack Anyone into that type of music should check them out.

You like house music?????????

LaurieX 10-03-2002 01:09 PM

I love many genres of music 80's, Rock, Alternative but my true love is Dance and House music

LaurieX 10-03-2002 01:17 PM

Traffichoney do you like India Aire? Her song Beautiful is GREAT

Toolz 10-03-2002 01:44 PM

White Stripes is rippin it up with some old school Detroit rock city madness, reminds me of Iggy Pop in his earlier days.

Queens of the Stone Age new cd has Dave Grohl and Mark Lannegan (Screaming Trees) on it, rocks out pretty heavy too.

And thankfully, THANKFULLY, I think Pearl Jam is releasing a good cd again, not sure if it's out yet but I've heard it all and it's damn good compared to the last few turds they've laid.

Evil Chris 10-03-2002 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Toolz
White Stripes is rippin it up with some old school Detroit rock city madness, reminds me of Iggy Pop in his earlier days.

Queens of the Stone Age new cd has Dave Grohl and Mark Lannegan (Screaming Trees) on it, rocks out pretty heavy too.

And thankfully, THANKFULLY, I think Pearl Jam is releasing a good cd again, not sure if it's out yet but I've heard it all and it's damn good compared to the last few turds they've laid.

I'm a big fan of the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl, so I'll have to check out that Queens of the Stone Age stuff....
Good to hear PJ is coming out with something a bit more solid than their last few efforts... (I bought 'em all anyway)

Toolz 10-03-2002 02:15 PM

New PJ is sweet, can't remember what it's called, but it's avail on the newsgroups.

New Beck is also welcome change from his stuff reminds me of Mellow Gold one of my favorite cd's. How about another thread top 5 Desert Island disks?

Tobbe 10-03-2002 02:30 PM

Quote:

Yes evil Chris old music is classic :)

Tobbe 10-03-2002 02:31 PM

Quote:

I love many genres of music 80's, Rock, Alternative but my true love is Dance and House music
Some good choices! :cool:

Traffichoney 10-03-2002 02:44 PM

Quote:

Traffichoney do you like India Aire? Her song Beautiful is GREAT
Of course I do... she plays her own music... She falls into the 'neo-soul' category:) Listen to "Ready for love"... great song :)

Traffichoney 10-03-2002 02:48 PM

Quote:

Well, Soulstice sounds familiar to me... that's why i asked :blush:
My first love is House music.. deep house (vocal house) :dancer:

You might wanna check out.. www.garagehousemusic.com

Check out the links.. there's soo many sites provided..maybe you'll find a gem:bonk:

Lemme know if you find something. :rainbow:

LaurieX 10-03-2002 08:46 PM

Thanks Traffichoney I will check out that site! This is a great place to sample new songs http://satelliterecords.com/ (If your into Dance/House music)

schilli 10-04-2002 09:26 PM

Judas Priest

Think that's why I love leather!

Tobbe 10-05-2002 08:59 AM

Quote:

Judas Priest
Good choice ! ;)
i like the song. Breaking The Law i belive you have heard that one!

Horg 10-05-2002 12:53 PM

LEATHER REBEL, LIGHTNING IN THE DARRRKKKKK!!!!

Traffichoney 10-05-2002 01:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks Traffichoney I will check out that site! This is a great place to sample new songs http://satelliterecords.com/ (If your into Dance/House music)
Thanks for sharing...
SHARING IS CARING :blush:

sherie 10-05-2002 02:18 PM

I am listening to White Pony - The Deftones atm great CD...The Queen of the Dammed CD is amazing if you like that dark mucic gonna listen to that next:cool: