X Nations - View Single Post - How far we haven't come in four decades....
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 318,289
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganGrayson
Segueing away from real life to television, I'm a big fan of the TNT show "The Closer." They had the usual strife between Kyra Sedgewick's character and her "team," based partly on the fact that she's a woman, partly on the fact that she was brought to LA from the South. They get a lot of play out of a classic: the "dimwitted appearing Southern law enforcement person who ties bad guys into knots." It worked in Mayberry with Andy Griffith and it worked when he was Matlock.
Morgan you lost me here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganGrayson
The local news was recently all aflutter with the new San Diego Fire Chief, an eminently qualified individual who I believe has been "in the biz" for like 20 years.

A woman.

Had women come as far as we like to think we have, the news of a female Fire Chief wouldn't cause such a stir. I believe they said she's one of four female Fire Chiefs of "major cities." (They didn't mention any "minor cities," "towns," or the like.)

They also felt the need to mention that she was single. I'm trying to remember if the marital status of the last "new guy" we had - I think it was either Police Chief or County Sherrif - was mentioned, but I can't remember. (I didn't care about their marital status any more than I care about hers. She *is* a whole lot hotter, though. One "open individual's" opinion. )

This is all leading up to an ad hoc question for the females: have you noticed a shift in your own equality over your lifetime? In other words, do you find yourself more equal to your opposite gender in both business and personal issues?

Any gentlemen who'd like to jump in with their own opinions are more than welcome. This is an "equal opportunity thread."
The fact they'd mention the new fire chielf's marital status is unnecessary of course, and the reason why they would mention it is probably defined by a general condition of society that I have no qualification to even attempt to address.

I had a conversation with a friend years ago about just this profession (fire-fighters) and how women should/could be invloved with it in consideration of feminism and equal rights etc etc...
Now, I am a believer in equal pay and equal rights for men and women but ask yourself one question. If you or your child were in a burning building and you could not find your way out, would you prefer a burly man to whisk you out of danger? Or would you prefer a woman? It should be understood that they both have the same qualifications etc..

Most people would say the man. I know I would.

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote