X Nations - View Single Post - What do you enjoy most about this business?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Ronaldo
Ronaldo is only editing this because Chris is a jackass
Xnations Voice of Reason

xBucks: 11,380
Send a message via ICQ to Ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMike
The drawback to the industy is that there is still a lot of homophobia. Take a few certain message boards and do a search for the words "fag" or "homo" and you'll see all kinds of negative, really insulting rhetoric. And I've been at parties after the booze has been flowing and people are pretty well lit and they don't think about what they are saying and heard all kinds of nasty homophobic comments. But I really think that since we work in such a sexually charged atmosphere the people who aren't used to being around gay men are suddenly forced to see images of gay sex, which you can't really help, and it makes it harder to relate to the gay men who are working the business side of it. So a guy who's never really had gay friends or been around many gay people are suddenly forced to see banners and tours of gay sites, and then when they meet a gay man they can't help but get that image in their minds and it's hard for them to deal with. Not saying that this is an excuse to be mean and hurtful, but it does explain a few things. How do we remedy this? I don't know. But it would be nice if everyone in the industry could get along the way that I get along with the scores of industry folk that I feel so privileged to call my friends.
Our industry is a reflection of society Don and until society changes it's views, it isn't going to get much better.

I actually take the opposite view of what you think though. BECAUSE we work in a sexually charged industry, I would have thought that most people would realize that someone's choice of a partner, is just that...their choice. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

You're always going to have people use terms like fag and homo, and sometimes I don't even think they truly mean it in a derogatory way. They're just words to some people. Not understanding what they mean to a gay person, is an entirely different matter.
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote