X Nations - View Single Post - Ok so I saw sicko...
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
DonMike
DonMike is I like toast
You need Gay content

xBucks: 10,532
Send a message via ICQ to DonMike Send a message via AIM to DonMike Send a message via Yahoo to DonMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by student4ever View Post
Ok, honest question for everybody... Clearly, there are people on both sides of liking Moore as a film maker. Take Moore out of the equation and make this a general question - do you pay to see a potentialy controversial movie that you may not agree with to at least see what it's about?

I used to, just so I could feel like I had a basis for argument and to have a valid opinion on the subject. These days, I've gotten to the point where I'd rather vote with my $$ by not contributing to their cause. When it hits HBO or one of the others, I'll watch it there, but I won't pay to see it in a theater or rent it.

Opinions?
It's one thing to not want to support a filmmaker or artist who's agenda is vastly different than yours. I can respect that. But I think it's good to challenge your way of thinking from time to time. I listen to Rush Limbaugh and other right-wing talk radio hosts from time to time. I'm not going to send him any contributions but I like to hear what the other side has to say. Sometimes it makes me rethink why I feel the way I do, sometimes I even find that maybe I hadn't thought some things through, and sometimes it angers me so much that it reaffirms my beliefs. But regardless, if you only keep to things you agree with then you run the risk of justifying your views so much that you believe any hype that comes from people you agree with. And that can turn dangerous very quickly.
DonMike is offline   Reply With Quote