xBucks: 11,420
Send a message via ICQ to Ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykkBoy
Cy Young's 511 wins is up there.
Yeah, that one will never be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf lovin' Jackass
I personally think that Gretzky's record of 39 goals in 50 games could be broken. Especially these days when overall more pucks are going in the net than ever before, and players are getting bigger and stronger all the time.
Ugh.

It won't be broken in our lifetime man.

You've really got me questioning your hockey knowledge. I don't think I can talk hockey with you anymore. Bigger and stronger players means less room for the skilled players...unless they go to International rink sizes (which they should and THEN it could at least be approached). Don't believe me? See below...

"More pucks are going in the net than ever before"???

Here's a few numbers for you.

1984-1985

21 teams played 80 games each and combined for 6530 goals.

2006-2007

30 teams played 82 games each and combined for 7264 goals.

84-85 team average per game? 3.88
06-07 team average per game? 2.95

That's almost 2 goals less per game than when the Oilers dynasty was in full swing. That's the only year I checked btw. I'd bet there's at LEAST two other years in there that blows the scoring today away.

Just for a bonus...

84-85 highest scoring team-Edmonton-401 goals
84-85 lowest scoring team-Toronto-253 (ahahaha, that IS a bonus. Have they been THAT bad for THAT long? I guess so.) (would rank tied for 11th in 06-07)

06-07 highest scoring team-Buffalo-308 goals (would rank 12th in 84-85)
06-07 lowest scoring team-Edmonton 195 goals

I know you love the Leafs man, even though they're pathetic and all, and for that I respect your loyalty. But making ridiculous statements like that I can't let slide. Maybe watching Toronto all these years has made you forget what HOCKEY is? I dunno.
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote