X Nations - View Single Post - So I subscribed to the gym today
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
TheLegacy
TheLegacy is Bi - Sexy

xBucks: 47,990
Send a message via ICQ to TheLegacy Send a message via AIM to TheLegacy Send a message via Skype™ to TheLegacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
I've practiced martial arts since 1985. Karate is a great way to get into shape and it's a lot less boring than lifting weights. I prefer the interactice 1-on-one and 1-on-unbeatableOdds(8+ opponents).

I suppose the question "why" would be present. Usually anyone who begins martial arts will rapidly lose 15 pounds within 3 weeks but that's actually the norm any time an exercise regimen begins. To lose weight, keep it off gym-level cardio is necessary 3-4 times per week and for muscular definition lifting weights 3+ days per week.

I am 41, 5'7" tall, and just a few months ago I weighed 225#, now I weigh 186#... exercising through martial arts practice alone wasn't enough to keep unnecessary body fat off of my body. I had to change and implement formal gym training. My body type is also "endomorph" (i.e. stocky bear). "Mesomorphs" (naturally proportional V-cut frame) and "ectomorphs" (skinny, can never gain weight no matter what's consumed) need not go to the extreme I have had to go.
You know.. I am 46, been doing it for 2 months now (2 to 3 times a week) and havent really lost much weight. Sweeting like hell all the way, weird. I do have diabetes, but still stay at 200 pounds

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." - Plato
TheLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote