X Nations - View Single Post - Mailers (spam?).... has the bottom dropped out?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 02:54 PM   #26
StuartD
StuartD should edit this
Sofa King Band

xBucks: 8,727
Send a message via ICQ to StuartD

Quote:
Originally posted by twinkley
Stuart,

You said " Ok... if someone does a "double optin" to what ever it is that a site is offering... and then gets emails from them... that's spam... requested spam." But that is the exact opposite of what spam is. Spam is the nick for UCE - UNSOLICITED commercial Email. By definition if someone signs up for it, its not spam. Spam is only getting commercial email you didnt ask for. Now technically that means if you email me about biz thats SPAM - but reality dictates its not. - its biz.
I know, I'm just playing devil's advocate.
What a dictionary describes as spam, and what a person sitting at home describes as spam, can be two different things. Which is why people complain.

Like Darin said, if you send to your own double opt-in, there should be no reason for complaints. But there still are.

I for one don't think there should be either. You double opt-in, you there for are saying "send me junk mail"... you asked for it.

For the most part, if you double opt-in, I say too bad... so sad. You're getting what I send ya.

But if I get emails from someplace that I've never been to before, because that site that I double opt-in'ed to sold my addy, then I'd be ticked.

I could never sell someone's email address when I so totally am 100% against people selling mine. I couldn't bring myself to be that hypocritical or two faced. Just my opinion.