X Nations - View Single Post - The Best Free Software
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Panky
Panky is the Queen of Mean

xBucks: 32,217
Send a message via ICQ to Panky Send a message via AIM to Panky Send a message via Yahoo to Panky

I'm a Linux user and Ubuntu is awesome. It's a stable OS, easy to learn, and there are tons of programs and utilities that work quite nicely with it.

I personally love OpenOffice. I've been using it daily for quite some time and I haven't cursed at it or ripped it out vowing never to install it again. It just runs nice and smooth, playing well with other programs.

FireFox is my main browser and Thunderbird, I use for mail. No complaints with them either.

AVG was once installed on my system, but Avast seems to have taken over. I don't mind the program at all. It just sits in my tray all day long and doesn't appear to hog resources or interfere with other programs. I don't use it as my main antivirus though. It's just like the first line of defense before I bring the big boys in to finish the job.

uTorrent is an awesome BitTorrent client.

WordPress does piss me off from time to time, but I still use it. Specifically WordPress MU. However, once one gets used to working with it, it isn't so bad.

Pidgin is the only software I use for IM. It allows for all the popular clients to run at once without conflict. It's stable, easy to use and just simply works.

Meebo is a nice online tool for IM clients in case you are using a computer that is not your own.

VLC Media Player is a great program. I use it as my default player and after 2+ years, I haven't cursed at it or uninstalled it.

A cool freebie not mentioned is dBlogger. Nice clean blog program. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other blog tools. It was written to be extremely search engine friendly, hence the reason why all the bells and whistles were never written into the program.
http://www.dblogger.com
Panky is offline   Reply With Quote