X Nations - View Single Post - Do you drink a beer at lunch?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Panky
Panky is the Queen of Mean

xBucks: 31,926
Send a message via ICQ to Panky Send a message via AIM to Panky Send a message via Yahoo to Panky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Chris View Post
If the legal drinking age in the states was 18 (like most of the rest of the world), do you think that alcohol related incidents would increase, or decrease? I think that they would significantly decrease.
Part of the appeal to drinking before the age of 21, is just the simple fact that one isn't supposed to be doing it in the first place. If the States, in general, made it legal for 18 year olds to drink liquor as well as beer, it may reduce some alcohol related incidents.

I can remember drinking way before I turned 21. Then when I turned 21, it was cool for awhile being able to get into clubs and bars, or going to a State store or beer distributor using my real ID. It was like for awhile, one wants to get carded simply for the fact you are actually legal. But, it wasn't long after I turned 21 that the thrill wore off and it became no big deal.

When you are 18, you can vote, buy cigarettes, be tried as an adult, go to war, apply for loans on your own, sign a lease, go to college or trade school, buy insurance, get a mortgage, get married, ... One is considered an adult. So an 18 year old can make these decisions and take responsibility for them, but the law states they aren't permitted to consume alcohol. Really doesn't make much sense.
Panky is offline   Reply With Quote