X Nations - View Single Post - iPhone apps help track sex offenders, spot crime
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 317,091
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
In Montgomery County, Maryland, police are worried about PhantomALERT, an iPhone app expected to be released in the next few months that warns drivers about DUI checkpoints. To use this app, invented by Joe Scott, the user downloads information from the company's Web site that specifies where checkpoints, red-light cameras and speeding traps are. For about $10 a month, the phone will send out an audio alert to the driver to help dodge tickets.

"That is a risk to public safety, allowing a potentially impaired driver to avoid detection and possibly harm him or herself or someone else on the roadway," says Lucille Baur, a spokeswoman for the police department.
I don't agree with this one. I hear warnings about locations of speed traps on my local radio all the time. Speed traps and DUI checkpoints serve more than one purpose. They don't exist only to catch speeders and drunks, they exist also as a deterrent.

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote