Thread: Your first car
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 02:10 PM   #24
baddog
baddog should edit this
One of the good guys

xBucks: 4,468
Send a message via ICQ to baddog

I built my first car, a 1959 Chevrolet Impala. My dad's uncle had sold it to the original owners, they were 70 at the time.

They had been in a very minor fender bender, but since there were no bumper guards it crushed the bumper into the grill, the grill into the radiator, the radiator into the fan, which naturally took out the water pump.

The original owners were going to sell it to their grandson for towing charges of $50, but I guess he figured he could get them to just give it to him for free. Instead they went back to the guy that sold it to them (my uncle) and asked him if he knew a kid that would buy it for $50.

So, after I got it home, I started searching for another 1959 Impala or Belair, running or not, as long as it had a clean front end.

Found a non-running Belair, with a perfect front end for $25. Swapped them, sold the Belair to a wrecking yard for $50.

So, I ended up with a really clean 1959 Impala, with a perfect interior, 348 V8 with 59,000 miles on it for a total investment of $65.

Sold it a year later for $150.

Guess I am showing my age with this introductory post.
baddog is offline   Reply With Quote