X Nations - View Single Post - Why do people waste time on anti-war protests?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #32
Pidgin
Pidgin should edit this

Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy
xBucks: 13,250

Quote:
Originally posted by Special_K
>Who is more ignorant, protestors or the people who sit on their couch and get all their knowledge from shows like CNN and Entertainment tonight? I would bet that 'most' protestors understand the situation and its implications much more than the later bunch.

You have to respect people who stand up for what they believe in. The peace protest was a world wide event, and if it can make people stop and think and ask the right questions then I think they have done the world good.
Starting with the respect issue - read my posts. I said time after time I respect it and value it. So saying I have to respect it is pointless. (as I said there is respect and there is value)
dyonisus and Danny_C and others: I am not saying you are ignorant people or don't know shit about nothing. Having an opinion (even if different than mine) is sometimes better than not having opinion at all. But just saying "war" is bad because innocent get hurt is a superficial analysis of the situation imho.
As to CNN/E/MTV - What i think is that the difference between the two groups you mentioned (as a general rule) is that one is at home and the other is at the streets - what I think is - both watch the same channels

I realize that its harder to form a substantiated opinion on things when you are so far and disassociate from it as people in the UK and US are.
Nonetheless - I think that it is invigorating and blessed that some people take actions showing they hate violence and wars.

My question is about the different reasons some people do that.
1. Some are against sending their own soldiers to what they think others should do
2. Some are against war no matter the consequences of inaction
3. Some think Saddam is not that bad and there is no proof he did anything wrong and therefore no one should ask him to disarm etc.. and he is not so bad for his people if he is given the chance and sanctions are lifted
4. Some think its the task of the Iraqi people to help themselves, and Saddam is indeed evil but not a threat at all and has nothing to do with terrorism (and his financing of families of suicide bombers for example is only humanitarian aid)
5. Some think the west can convince Saddam its best to disarm by talking to him and giving him economical incentives and PR'ing peace and democracy
6. Some think the inspectors will manage to sweep the entire Iraq and dismantle his weapons one by one leaving Iraq clean from WMD and that will create a chain effect
7. Some don’t really think and just think protests are fun
Do you know more groups?

dyonisus and Danny_C - I didn't understand to which group you belong? Group 5? or maybe to a different group I didnt mention?

(ps. dyonisus: as to me having an opinion or two - true. but so do you. no? as to be being fixated on my opinion. well, with some I do, with some I don't. But changing my mind comes from reasonong, not from protest of others or the numbers of protestors)
Pidgin is offline   Reply With Quote