X Nations - View Single Post - A little non-poll poll about CGI scripts and installation
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
AcidMaX
AcidMaX should edit this
Lost in cyberspace

Location: Comfy confines of an oldsmobile outside samones house.
xBucks: 1,551
Send a message via ICQ to AcidMaX

Then it's not quite "idiot proof" if you are still having problems. I think the biggest thing is people rush software to market or customers who want custom software want it yesterday and rush the process.

I think most programmers are too analytical because we do it on a daily basis. So I quite often hand the script off to a novice to install and see what their feedback is.

Granted you can not do this on some projects/applications, but I think you can do it on most. Installing software does not have to be that hard IF the programmer takes the time to sit in the customers shoes and understand what they might be going through. If a programmer can come up with a web interface for software installation, test it, then test it again to make sure the install works, you will solve a large majority of installation issues.

Nothing is ever 100%, but by taking a little time up front it will save time in the future and ultimately make a happier customer.

Andy