X Nations - View Single Post - Is it the end of Cross-Sales?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #14
NetRodent
NetRodent should edit this
X Cuseme

xBucks: 298
Send a message via ICQ to NetRodent

It seems to be conventional wisdom that cross-sells have higher chargeback rates than normal transactions. We cross-sell to our own sites (pre-checked) and don't see a significant difference in the chargeback rate between primary and cross-sold transactions.

This leads me to believe the chargeback problem with cross-sells come from "trading" them with other sites. A fair number of our members write to us when they want to cancel and usually say something simply like "cancel me". They rarely specify the subscription they want to cancel and almost never write seperate emails for the primary and cross-sold subscription. I don't think surfers really realize that there are two seperate subscriptions. Thus when someone writes "cancel me", we cancel both subscriptions.

When a third party becomes involved you really can't cancel both subscriptions unless there's some excellent communication between your customer service departments. The customer thinks he's cancelled but he's still getting billed and by a different entity. I think that's why many people have problems with chargebacks on cross-sells.
<font size="1">&quot;I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.&quot;<br>--Richard Nixon</font>
NetRodent is offline   Reply With Quote