X Nations - View Single Post - What book(s) are you reading?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 11:50 AM   #11
Horg
Horg should edit this

xBucks: 1,471
Send a message via ICQ to Horg

Since I am a real geek I love fantasy and science-fiction novels

I just finished the last book of The Farser Trilogy by Robin Hobb and I loved them all ! I couldn't stop reading and wanted to know what would happen next, something that is very unusual of me hehe.

I read a very very science-fiction book the other day, Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville. It's hard to explain what's it all about shorty, but I can guarantee that if you like science-fiction and science you will love that book (oh and it deals with fantasy as well a little).

Last but not the least, another fantasy book. Well it's more of a historical book than a fantasy book. It takes place in a modified Byzantine Empire from Europe's fifth century. The first book is the story of a mosaist from a small city who has been called by the emperor to reach Sarantine, the empire's biggest city, in order to create the biggest mosaic ever in the new Sarantine sanctuary. It might sound boring at first (in fact the 50 first pages are rather long as the author describes the political world they live in), but once you reach the actual story you can't stop ! I made my girlfriend read it (and she never read fantasy before) and she just loved it. She gave it to her sister (who's not a fantasy fan either) and her sister cried at the end of the second book hehe. Anyway these 2 books are in my all-time top list for a long time I'm sure ! The author is Guy Gavriel Kay and the books are :
- Sailing to Sarantium (Sarantine Mosaic, Book 1)
- Lord of Emperors (Sarantine Mosaic, Book 2)

And right now I take a break from reading big novels so I read the BDs (or Bande Dessinées or European comic books) that I brought back from France this summer
Horg is offline   Reply With Quote