Getting settled in Germany - Credit Cards vs Direct Debit - X Nations

Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > Non Sponsor Announcements

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
RRwebbilling
RRwebbilling should edit this
Citizen X

xBucks: 287
Default Getting settled in Germany - Credit Cards vs Direct Debit

Getting settled in Germany - Myth or Reality?

I recently moved to Germany and had my German girlfriend with me.
The day I went out of my hotel to get things started was unbelievable!
Tasks for that day:
Sign a lease for my apartment.
Get my phone service set up.
Get a cell phone.
Set up my account for electricity services for the apartment.
Buy some furniture at a Swedish Store.
Get a liability insurance policy.
Have a great dinner with friends.

I was glad I could finally sign the lease and move into the apartment the same day. I was ready there with my checkbook for first, last and security when I finally put my signature on the paper. But my landlord looked at me like I was kidding when I put the amount on a check. He said: I am very sorry, but don't you know that we dont use checks anymore? I need your Bank Account data in the lease and will withdraw the money every month from your account. I said: No, I am sorry, I am American - all I have is a checkbook and my Credit Card. He couldn't believe that it is not usual to pay by Direct Debit. It is not even possible to wire the money, because the direct debit agreement is his "security" that I am paying my rent. He was going to withdraw it every month from my (not yet existing) bank account.
I could not believe that I couldnt pay with a check. So my girlfriend gave him her details.
Ok - glad that worked out somehow.

Next stop German Telekom - need a landline. I went into the store and the people were very nice. They showed me the contract and guess what - No way to pay other than with Direct Debit - no credit card, no invoice - so I could pay by wire? - no, just direct debit. They didn't take the contract without bank account details.
Well, I thought, that’s crazy, and again my girlfriend rescued me with her Bank Account!

Next stop, the store of a cellphone provider and I thought, I am smart, I'll get a prepaid phone where I’ll have no monthly bill. I'll just purchase a phone and put credit on it - easy one!! ...so I thought. I picked my phone package - it had 10 EUR credit on it and I went to the cashier. I gave the lady my credit card, but she looked at me as if I wanted to rob the store - sorry we don't accept Credit Cards! I can't believe this, where am I??? I had to go to an ATM and pay cash. At least finally I had a cellphone! Without my girlfriend’s help

So I went back to my hotel, sat down and had to call the electricity service and open an account. It is much nicer if your fridge has power and you also have lights in your place And guess what - no, I can't give them my Credit Card details to pay my monthly bill. And I will not get an invoice which I could pay by check or wire either.
I NEED A BANK ACCOUNT for direct debit!!! And again, my girlfriend had to submit her bank account details - no direct debit, no electricity!!!

Next thing on our list: A nice Swedish furniture store I thought, well - there I can pay with my CC - I know that from the US. We picked some nice stuff and went to the cashier with our two full carts and guess what? - They don't accept credit cards!!! All I could do is pay cash or with a banking card (like a debit card without VISA logo on it) and again my girlfriend was there to pay.

I was ready for a drink - many drinks But first we dropped off the furniture.

Finally I had my place furnished and I am not even going to tell you what happened in the restaurant where I wanted to buy my girlfriend a nice dinner and some drinks or when I tried to get this renter’s insurance which I needed for the apartment. And I am not going to tell you what happened when I wanted to fill my car with gas for just 20 EUR NO CREDIT CARDS accepted!!!

What did I learn? It is NOT possible to get anything by credit card or without your girlfriend in this Germany )

This story should give you some insight into some of the cultural differences regarding the use of credit cards in Europe. If your goal is to sell to European customers then you must provide them a payment method using direct debit!
If you were to ignore this cultural difference you will also ignore increasing you revenue!

Important Facts to Keep in mind:
1. 75% of Europeans pay with direct debit.
2. Webbilling supports typical CC features including - recurring, trials, cross sales, upsells and one-click
encrypted join possibilities.
3. Direct Debit is the preferred and primary method of payment in Europe.
4. Webbilling supports Germany, Netherlands, Spain, UK, and Austria.

Be sure to go to Webbilling.com right now to learn more, and start offering real direct debit today.

Email: RR at Webbilling dot com
RRwebbilling is offline   Reply With Quote