Casa Nova
Casa Nova should edit this
The Sex Appeal

xBucks: 19,417
Send a message via ICQ to Casa Nova Send a message via MSN to Casa Nova
Wink Sky Dive From Space.

Popsci - Aviation

Quote:
For sport or safety, hurtling to Earth from space without the protective shroud of a heavily engineered space vehicle seems like sheer lunacy—a hellish descent punctuated by intense heat and terminal, well . . . splatter. But believe it or not, the physics actually works out. With a heat-resistant space suit and the right kind of chutes, such a daredevil plunge should indeed be possible. And with the right people involved, it edges into the realm of the probable.

Two veterans of the space industry are working to make the idea real. While the rest of today’s space-bound private enterprises—Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic, XCOR Aerospace, Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin—are fixated on getting humans to space, a company called Orbital Outfitters is working on an innovative way of bringing them back, whether it’s done purely as a sport or as an emergency backup plan in case things go awry. Rick Tumlinson, a longtime civilian space booster who founded the Space Frontier Foundation and helped launch the X Prize Foundation, and Jonathan Clark, a former NASA flight surgeon who has a unique understanding of the extremes of spaceflight survival—his wife, astronaut Laurel Clark, perished in the space shuttle Columbia disaster in 2003—have begun to develop the equipment needed to return you from the heavens without a vehicle.

Together, the two plan to demonstrate a record-breaking 120,000-foot jump by 2009, and the truly unprecedented 60-mile space dive within two years—an audacious timetable. If all goes well, they’ll reach even higher. “Our ultimate goal,” Tumlinson says, “is to have individual human beings return from orbit alive.” That’s a drop from 150 miles—or more—involving increased heat and near-deadly Gs, essentially turning their divers into human meteorites.

Even that’s survivable, says NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory engineer Robert Manning, who designs reentry systems for unmanned craft. Given the right protection—including thermal protection, oxygen, an aerodynamic heat shield and a control system—Manning says, a human being could, theoretically, fall to Earth from any height and survive. The question is whether Tumlinson and Clark can turn theory into fact, and whether anybody would be crazy enough to give their thrill ride a try.
All I can think is..."Where do I sign up?"

Casa Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
student4ever
student4ever is Trying to not let life get in the way of life

xBucks: 3,260

I'll take the 5th ticket in that line... let them work some bugs out of the system... LOL

student4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Platinum Chris
Platinum Chris should edit this
Runs with Scissors

xBucks: 3,835
Send a message via ICQ to Platinum Chris Send a message via AIM to Platinum Chris Send a message via MSN to Platinum Chris Send a message via Yahoo to Platinum Chris

They can't even get shuttles back from Space safely without tons of tests, what makes you think you won't be Crispy Fried Casa Nova doing this?

Adult Rental Cash - VOD - $35 PPS or 35% RevShare
Platinum Feeds - 4,000 S8t, 500+ Gay Full-Length DVD Feeds. Contact me for your FREE 2 week trial!
Platinum Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Casa Nova
Casa Nova should edit this
The Sex Appeal

xBucks: 19,417
Send a message via ICQ to Casa Nova Send a message via MSN to Casa Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Chris View Post
They can't even get shuttles back from Space safely without tons of tests, what makes you think you won't be Crispy Fried Casa Nova doing this?
ahhahaha... Thats why I won't be the first crazy man to try this lol wait a couple deaths before i go haha

Casa Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
TheLegacy
TheLegacy is Bi - Sexy

xBucks: 46,975
Send a message via ICQ to TheLegacy Send a message via AIM to TheLegacy Send a message via Skype™ to TheLegacy

just looking at the picture makes me have to pee - scary

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." - Plato
TheLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Quagmire
Quagmire should edit this
I like to touch my peepee

xBucks: 3,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Chris View Post
One thing you have to keep in mind is that NASA's got their heads up their asses with the bidding system they use to get things done. When you give the job to the lowest bidder you end up with crap quality.

The idea is lunacy though. From that height think about how far in any direction you could/would travel. One good wind gust and you'd find yourself bobbing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Slippery
Slippery is all wet!
Naughty Girl

xBucks: 15,761

Personally, I think it sounds nuts! Plus, who could afford doing this? Not your average person that's for sure.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
sassygirl
sassygirl should edit this
Black Beard Pirate

xBucks: 634
Send a message via ICQ to sassygirl

that sounds terrifying....would prolly pass out before i hit the invisible layers of earth
sassygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Panky
Panky is the Queen of Mean

xBucks: 31,090
Send a message via ICQ to Panky Send a message via AIM to Panky Send a message via Yahoo to Panky

The guy looks like a Transformer in that pic. I think I'll sit this one out. By the time someone gets around to perfecting re-entry, I'll be sitting on my rocking chair watching it on TV. With the way technology is rapidly developing for TV, I'll probably feel just like I was there anyway.
Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Janell
Janell is feeling a little jedi

xBucks: 5,446
Send a message via ICQ to Janell

Yeah Im thinking I'll pass for a few years. Roller coaster are entertaining enough for me.
Janell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
SykkBoy
SykkBoy should edit this
T-Shirt Whore

xBucks: 3,660

I want to sign my ex-wife up to be a tester for this thing ;-)