Dealing with depression - X Nations

Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > General Webmaster Business and Discussions

Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
She Devil
She Devil is back
Boobs Rule

xBucks: 3,021
Send a message via ICQ to She Devil

You could also eat chocolate it has happiness in it...

Sarotonin is probably your problem... well lack of it. I know it's mine... Things you eat; or don't, are a big influence. I have done many studies on these kinds of things for myself. Who knows maybe it will help you like it's helped me. I have been able to deal with my imbalanced chemicals with diet, lifestyle and a great hubby and without drugs, but it may not be right for you. Give that doctor a call if it gets bad. And I'm sure we are all sitting here looking like idiots with our arms open in from of a bright monitor screen ready to give you a hug.

This is from my findings from a long time ago; I did not write this.

EAT TO BOOST SEROTONIN LEVELS

Serotonin is sometimes called our ‘satisfaction’ brain chemical because, in addition to giving us a sense of well-being, if levels are normal then we don’t feel the need to overeat sugary and refined carbohydrate foods which give us a short term serotonin boost, at the expense of a sharp drop-off soon after.

We make serotonin from an amino acid (protein building block) called tryptophan. By eating tryptophan rich foods we can naturally boost levels of serotonin. Tryptophan is not as widely distributed in our foods as other amino acids, and it is found mainly in: turkey, chicken, fish, pheasant, partridge, cottage cheese, bananas, eggs, nuts, wheat germ, avocados, milk, cheese and the legumes (beans, peas, pulses, soya), and there are also smaller amounts in breads, cereals, potatoes and rice. Because tryptophan is such a large molecule, other more easily absorbed amino acids actively compete with it. In order to divert them, and encourage the uptake of tryptophan it is helpful moderately raise insulin levels by eating starchy foods, such as brown rice, wholemeal bread, porridge oats and jacket potatoes, alongside the protein foods.

If brain serotonin levels are low then it can be tempting to reach for foods, and substances, which will temporarily give us a boost. These include sugary foods, refined carbohydrates (such as crisps, white bread, white rice and other processed foods), and alcohol. The problem with these foods is that they perpetuate the cycle of cravings. Normalising serotonin levels is probably one of the most important, and most ignored, means of reducing the need to binge-eating and drink.

While serotonin is the messenger, it is necessary for the message to be received. The brain chemical receptors are built principally from vital fats which include EPA and DHA. These two are found mainly in oily fish, such as mackerel, salmon, tuna, herrings and sardines, and also fish oil supplements, cold-pressed flax and walnut oils. Depression has been shown to be significantly improved by introducing these fats daily, over three or four months.

goddess@shedevilscash.com
SheDevil's Cash
Goddess SheDevil
She Devil is offline   Reply With Quote