Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > General Webmaster Business and Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #11
ElvisManson
ElvisManson should edit this
X Whoever...

xBucks: 523
Send a message via ICQ to ElvisManson

There have been a lot of good points made already in this thread...both Zebra and sykkboy have hit the nauil on the head.

Speaking from personal experince, with Python running naughtymail, I can tell you that we get spam AND spam cop complaints from people that have opt'd-inthrough the double opt in process.

With a list as large as our we queue up mailers 3 days in advance and people that have opted out still get mailer from us for a few days. This is stated in very explicit terms during the opy-out process...but we get complaints anyway...and I love that spamcop has the tendency to mutiply ( exponentially I think sometimes) the number of complaints they send out.

I run the Dollar Machine affiliate program for Python take a LOT of double opt in mailer traffic, quite a bit of it from people who post here and i know that they legitimately collect their e-mails through a double opt-in process...but still get up to 10 spam cop complaints a day when they mail the list to my sites.

Do I treat them as spammers?....Hell no.

As Zebra mentioned the line between spam, single, double and triple opt-in e-mails gets very blurry as defined by the people receining the mail.

In the end it boils down to a trust issue for me.

And from what i have seen based on our mailing operations ( double opt-in) there has been no decrease in profitability....but we have had to constantly allow our business model to change with what our clients and the people receiving our mailings want.