Hey, Dra-a-a-vyk! - X Nations

Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > General Webmaster Business and Discussions

Old 03-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
MorganGrayson
MorganGrayson should edit this

xBucks: 8,256
Smile Hey, Dra-a-a-vyk!

(Thread title best pronounced a la Lou Costello!)

Drav...do you know about this place? (I got an email from my youngest, who inherited her "pizza gene" from her father.)

(And yes, I'm perfectly well aware of the fact that you're from Philly and this is in Pittsburgh and they're two different places....)

Pa. Pizzeria Goes for Record-Size Pizza

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A pizzeria is vying for a spot in Guinness World Records for the world's largest commercially available pizza. The $99, 150-slice pizza isn't a one-time deal. In fact, The Big One is already available, though Mama Lena's Pizza House has had few takers so far.

The would-be recordsetter measures about 3 feet by 4 1/2 feet and takes up nearly all the space in the shop's brick oven.

The current record holder is a 4-foot diameter pizza offered by Paul Revere's Pizza in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Dubbed the Ultimate Party Pizza, it uses more than 10 pounds of dough, 48 ounces of sauce and about five pounds of cheese.

A tip for Mama Lena customers: Call ahead. The Big One takes about 15 minutes to prepare and another 20 to 25 minutes to bake, said Rob Carrabbia, whose wife, Wendy, owns the pizzeria in the suburban Pittsburgh town of McKees Rocks.

"The only way you're looking to order it is if you want a big pizza," Carrabbia said.

Mama Lena's was already offering a 30-inch by 30-inch, 64-slice pizza when Carrabbia read about the current record holder in a trade magazine and figured he could beat it.

"If I'm already making one this big, I can make one another half as big again," he said.

The pizza has been on the menu for more than a year. So far, about 10 have been sold, including for birthday parties and to a school for its basketball team.

"It's 20 pounds of dough, it's a 1 gallon of sauce, 15 pounds of cheese and a lot of tender love and care," Carrabbia said Monday. "We cook the old fashion way, stone and cornmeal."

Carrabbia said Guinness requires that the pizza's making be videotaped and witnessed by a public official. He planned to attempt the record Monday.

Besides the novelty, Carrabbia said anyone who orders The Big One is getting a bargain.

"It's less than a dollar a slice" for a plain cheese pizza, he said. Toppings are extra and a white pizza - no red sauce, but garlic, cheese and marinated tomatoes - costs $120.99.

The category is different from the world's largest pizza. That record was set in 1990 in South Africa, where Norwood Hypermarket made a pizza 122 feet, eight inches in diameter, using 9,920 pounds of flour, 3,968 pounds of cheese and 1,984 pounds of sauce.

For its 50th anniversary in 1994, Guinness named that pizza one of its top 10 most astounding feats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pa_pizza.jpg (46.9 KB, 292 views)
Old 03-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 314,034
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris

oh my God... now I know what I want for supper!!!!
That looks gooooood.

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Funbrunette
Funbrunette is Travelling the world!
CORRUPTED ADMIN!!!!!

xBucks: 243,493
Send a message via ICQ to Funbrunette Send a message via MSN to Funbrunette Send a message via Skype™ to Funbrunette

It does look yummy!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
MorganGrayson
MorganGrayson should edit this

xBucks: 8,256

My husband likes to tell the story of "The Couple That Almost Wasn't."
Early in our dating experience he asked me if I liked pizza. Having no forewarning to the fact that my husband wasn't just an afficianodo, he was a flat-out junkie, I answered honestly. "Not particularly," I said. He actually froze. I mildly recovered and muttered something about not really having had all that much of it. He regarded me and said "I'll bet you're one of those people that eats it with a knife and fork." Well. As a matter of fact...I was. One of the things I didn't like about pizza was that there was no way to eat it tidily in public. *sigh* And thus began year upon year, decade upon decade of every single "special day" celebrated with frigging pizza.

It was QB who saved my life. We were over there one evening, and she ordered pizza. Pepperoni for my husband, and tomato and mushroom, the way she liked it. Hozanna, my tastebuds sang. I discovered that it wasn't "pizza" I didn't like...it was pepperoni on a pizza that I despised. I'm a "veggie" pizza person. So, instead of being the "odd man out" in my pizza hosing family, I'm now just someone who prefers a different topping on hers. (Thanks, QB, always!)

I'd still rather have Chinese food, though.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Dravyk
Dravyk should edit this

xBucks: 563

I've always wanted a pizza I could swim in.

hehehehe Nice find, Morgan!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
war_ner
war_ner should edit this

xBucks: 2,104

Shit, that was huge!

Pay Per Click Search
Engine.
war_ner is offline   Reply With Quote