New Oxymoron: Facebook Friends - X Nations

Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > General Webmaster Business and Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 306,995
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris
Default New Oxymoron: Facebook Friends

I read this short letter in the Montreal Gazette over the weekend, and thought I would share. This also applies to MySpace.

New Oxymoron: Facebook Friends
(written by Alexia Y)

Most of my friends are avid Facebook users who scrounge for as many "friends" as possible. This is purely for narcissistic pleasure. Their friends list symbolizes their "popularity".
"I saw that person cross the street, I'll add him," or "This is my classmate's second cousin, I'll add him" - that's what constitutes "friends" these days.
There's even something called a "random add" that allows strangers to go through your list of buddies and add random people to their own friends list. The horror is that these naive people accept the friend request and allow these strangers to see their complete profile, including pictures, personal events, and information.
The truth is that most people hardly ever interact with the acquaintances on their Facebook list. They're interested only in getting as many names as they can to prove their growing superficial popularity. Yes, friends indeed.

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facebook, myspace