I say Alexa.. you say? - X Nations

Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > General Webmaster Business and Discussions

Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Magnus3x
Magnus3x is superfantastico!

xBucks: 15,619
Send a message via ICQ to Magnus3x
Default I say Alexa.. you say?

I'm curious what level people put Alexa stats and rankings on? I saw a thread of a guy complaining about his Alexa ranking.. I ask why, does that get you more sales or give your site any less worth?

This is why I like Alexa, I can see traffic trends, spikes and drops and you know that a crack 50 and less ranking will bring you some clout.

My issues:
- tool bars in browser are how they get ranks.. I don't have their tool bar
- Only IE and finally now firefox has the add-on so they get counted. So you mac heads, Oprano and other browsers you are no bodies and do not get counted.
- Odd discrepancies like smaller sites showing higher ranks and traffic than other site that you know are not the case so how does that work?

I know that this site www.compete.com has been gaining on Alexa for clout but that too has it's flaws. These sites tend to do a cross section like your TV's Neilson ratings, they only take a cross section and make assumpions from there.

Let me know your thoughts.
  • Banners/Text Links
  • Pre-Paid Gallery Spots
steve a-t* gtsads dot com
Magnus3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 307,395
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris

A few months ago someone showed me www.compete.com and I do refer to it once in awhile, but I still mainly use Alexa.
I don't put too much importance on Alexa, however, but I use them to give me an idea of how big a domain might be. The quality of the traffic flowing through a site is impossible for Alexa to determin unless someone can show me otherwise.

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Doug of Montreal
Doug of Montreal is chillin (aka freezing) in Montreal
From down the Rabbit hole

xBucks: 3,444
Send a message via ICQ to Doug of Montreal

I use both. They're essential for me when trying to set up business with sites. I'll pass on sites that have a crappy ranking when looking for traffic and focus on the bigger ones--at least until I run out of whales. So far, though, whales are still in season

I run both toolbars on one browser and use the other when things start to get clunky, as they often do. There has to be a better way to work them, though, as sometimes it makes browser almost unusable.

Doug of Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Crak_JMan
Crak_JMan is beautiful

xBucks: 14,155
Send a message via ICQ to Crak_JMan Send a message via Yahoo to Crak_JMan

I use my server stats, it doesn't lie to me, it doesn't require surfers to have a toolbar... If people judge a site only by alexa then they are shooting themslefs in the foot a little bit.

jman@crakcash.com - ICQ: 124588240 - skype: crak_jman
Crak_JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Magnus3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug of Montreal View Post
I use both. They're essential for me when trying to set up business with sites. I'll pass on sites that have a crappy ranking when looking for traffic and focus on the bigger ones--at least until I run out of whales. So far, though, whales are still in season

I run both toolbars on one browser and use the other when things start to get clunky, as they often do. There has to be a better way to work them, though, as sometimes it makes browser almost unusable.
Stack some adult TGP's against the HUN.. I have found that some 300K TGP's look to have better traffic ranks and traffic graphs than the hun and if you know the actual data is simply not possible.

Alexa traffic by country. The chart uses IP Address geolocation to pinpoint the country of origin for all Alexa Toolbar users. The results are a little surprising...

Users Pageviews Country
36.91% 23.72% United States
18.46% 25.57% China
4.59% 9.97% Hong Kong
4.49% 4.05% United Kingdom
4.01% 3.09% Canada
3.80% 6.53% Japan
2.56% 4.10% South Korea
1.72% 2.58% Taiwan
1.52% 1.73% Spain
1.46% 1.27% Germany
1.45% 1.11% Australia
  • Banners/Text Links
  • Pre-Paid Gallery Spots

Last edited by Magnus3x; 03-12-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Magnus3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan View Post
I use my server stats, it doesn't lie to me, it doesn't require surfers to have a toolbar... If people judge a site only by alexa then they are shooting themslefs in the foot a little bit.
I use these tools often and use compete to cross check a few things and of course get server stats. We have some new sites down pipe with Alexa traffic ranks below 40 but they have verifiable server stats to match. We can't wait as the traffic is through the roof. Jman is correct you cannot use these as a stand alone.

The way people talk about this is how they talk about google page rank meters in the past few years, page rank 6 does not = 6 figures worth of sales from your site.
  • Banners/Text Links
  • Pre-Paid Gallery Spots
Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 307,395
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus3x View Post
The way people talk about this is how they talk about google page rank meters in the past few years, page rank 6 does not = 6 figures worth of sales from your site.
This is true. You don't need high page rank to get a lot of traffic from Google. I have a blog that is #1 for a search term (which brings a LOT of traffic), yet the blog itself isn't even at PR0. It's not ranked at all, yet it is still indexed by Google. Strange.

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote